Friday, February 17, 2012

First Try on the Akai MINIAK - includes MP3 download


I've been spending my limited free time playing around with an Akai MINAK, Alesis HR-16 drum machine, and recording them through a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB.  My first "song" - more like noodling around - is available as an MP3.  Forever Goodbye

The MINIAK - especially for the price, is very flexible and provides tons of presets for the rhythm, sequencer and multi modes.  The negative is the lack of easy editing which is thankfully remedied by the aftermarket Hypersynth editor.

The Alesis HR-16 is a vintage piece from the 80s.  Not an uber-wunderkind compared to the gear of today, but very old-school beats are available.  For this track, I just used a simple preset.

The Saffire USB and associated Ableton Live Lite sofware took some monkeying around to get working.  I still have plenty to learn in this department, since I ended up doing the final mastering using Audacity!

Anyways - some more in-depth reviews coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment